Degree Authentication

The KRG Representation in the US is able to authenticate certifications (e.g. university diplomas, transcripts, birth certificates, etc.) issued by US institutions for the following individuals:

  • Residents of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq who have studied in the US under KRG-sponsored programs and fellowships
  • Residents of the Kurdistan Region who have graduated from US educational institutions, including private students
  • Non-residents of the Kurdistan Region who graduated from US educational institutions and require authentication in order to work in the Kurdistan Region
  • Children who were born in the US or Canada and wish to obtain an Iraqi Birth Certificate or national ID.

Please note that the KRG Ministry of Higher Education does not recognize or authenticate the following documents:

  • Diplomas issued by unaccredited educational institutions
  • Non-academic certifications including technical training, professional certificates, or certificates of excellence/distinction
  • Diplomas issued by universities or colleges, where the study is entirely online, as instructed by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) in Iraq

 Documents Required for Authentication

The KRG Representation is only able to accept certifications that have been authenticated by the United States Secretary of State of your state (not federal).

In order to have your documents authenticated by the KRG Representation in the US, please include the following documents with your application:

  1. One (1) original/official diploma issued by a U.S. academic institution (i.e. your college or university)
  2. One (1) copy of the diploma (above)
  3. One (1) original/official transcript issued by the U.S. academic institution (i.e. your college, university)
  4. One (1) copy of the transcript (above)
  5. One (1) copy of your thesis or dissertation, if applicable. Please clearly indicate your name, institution, and degree on your document
  6. Get your document(s) notarized by a public notary (can be done locally, at a bank, law office, county office, etc.)
  7. Get your document(s) Apostilled (authenticated) by the Secretary of State of your State (located in the capital where your college resides). To locate your State's Secretary of State, click here...
  8. One (1) completed Release of Academic Records Consent Form (see the link above)
  9. One (1) completed Application Form for Authentication of Higher Education Certification (see the link above)
  10. One (1) photocopy of state identification showing name and date of birth (such as a passport or driver’s license)
  11. One (1) prepaid envelope addressed to the address where documents will be returned.
  • A check or money order in the amount (see below) payable to the KRG. Depending on what level: 
    • $19.95 for every college/university 'diploma'/'degree', or transcript verification
    • $4.95 for verification of current enrollment, regardless of level
    • $9.95 for a high school diploma/transcript verification
    • Please note: Sometimes your school or college will add a surcharge. In that case, we will process your documents and bill you later.
  • If you require both your degree and transcripts authenticated, you must include two payments of $19.95 (you can combine the total amount). If you have two degrees and two diplomas from two separate institutions that need to be authenticated, that's a total of four payments of $19.95 (you may combine the total amount).
  • Mail the package to (a special degree-certificate hard envelope to prevent your degree from being bent during shipping is recommended)

Kurdistan Regional Government
Directorate of Consular Services
1532 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036

Please allow up to 15 business days (3 weeks) for processing.

Any questions, please call or email our Consular Services Department at:

Phone: 202.821.1850