The KRG Representation in the US is able to authenticate certifications (e.g. university diplomas, transcripts, birth certificates, etc.) issued by US institutions for the following individuals:
- Residents of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq who has studied in the US under KRG-sponsored programs and fellowships
- Residents of the Kurdistan Region who have graduated from US educational institutions, including private students
- Non-residents of the Kurdistan Region who graduated from US educational institutions and require authentication in order to work in the Kurdistan Region
- Children who were born in the US or Canada and wish to obtain an Iraqi Birth Certificate or national ID.
Please note that the KRG-USA does not authenticate any of the following:
- Diplomas issued by unaccredited educational institutions
- Non-academic certifications including technical training, professional certificates, or certificates of excellence/distinction
- Diplomas issued by universities or colleges, where the study is entirely online, as instructed by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) in Iraq
Documents Required for Authentication
The KRG-USA is only able to accept certifications that have been authenticated by the United States Secretary of State in Washington, DC. For instructions on how to have your documents authenticated by the United States Secretary of State, see the section below 'Having Your Documents Authenticated by the Secretary of State' of the state that you obtained the document from (located in the state's capital).
In order to have your documents authenticated by the KRG Representation in the US, please include the following documents with your application:
- One (1) original diploma issued by a U.S. academic institution (i.e. your college or university)
- One (1) copy of the original diploma that has been stamped by a notary public and authenticated by the United States Secretary of State.
- One (1) official transcript issued by the U.S. academic institution (i.e. your college, university)
- One (1) copy of the original transcript that has been stamped by a notary public and authenticated by the United States Secretary of State.
- One (1) copy of your thesis or dissertation, if applicable. Please clearly indicate your name, institution, and degree.
- One (1) completed Release of Academic Records Consent Form
- One (1) completed Application Form for Authentication of Higher Education Certification
- One (1) photocopy of state identification showing name and date of birth (such as a passport or driver’s license)
- One (1) prepaid envelope addressed to the address where documents will be returned
- A check or money order in the amount of $19.95 for every college/university 'diploma' or 'degree' document, payable to the KRG. If you require both your degree and transcripts authenticated, you must include two payments of $19.95 (you can combine the total amount). If you have two degrees and two diplomas from two separate institutions that need to be authenticated, that's a total of four payments of $19.95 (you may combine the total amount). No payment is required for authenticating transcripts or K-12 (elementary through high school) diplomas and transcripts.
- Mail the package to (a special degree-certificate hard envelope to prevent your degree from being bent during shipping is recommended)
Kurdistan Regional Government
Directorate of Consular Services
1532 16th St. NW
Washington, DC 20036
Please allow at least 15 business days (3 weeks) for processing.
Having Your Documents Authenticated by the Secretary of State
In order to have your documents authenticated by the United States Secretary of State in Washington, DC, you must have completed these steps in the following order:
- Have the copies of your transcript and diploma notarized by a notary public (could be done at your bank or a law clerk office)
- Have the notarized transcript and diploma certified by the County Clerk in the county where the notary public is commissioned
- Have your documents certified with Apostille Certification by the Secretary of State of the state or commonwealth that the County Clerk is located in. To locate your State's Secretary of State, click here...